Doctor-approved by our center for eye care in Cedar Park
A good tube of mascara is a makeup essential. But if you have sensitive eyes, your beautiful lush lashes can come at the price of having red eyes and swollen, itchy eyelids. If you suffer from dry eyes, are sensitive to preservatives, suffer from allergies, or wear contact lenses, you are more likely to be sensitive to eye makeup, particularly mascara.
What symptoms can be caused by your mascara?
According to our eye care specialist in Cedar Park, signs that you’re having a bad reaction to your mascara can appear both around and in your eyes. Some people will suffer from flaky, dry eyelids or watery, red eyes. Usually, the eyes and surrounding tissues become inflamed, which can lead to stinging and/or itching. Also, many people develop infections at the eyelash line due to certain ingredients in mascara.
What mascaras are recommended for sensitive eyes?
Our eye care team in Cedar Park has compiled the following list of 10 mascaras that are gentle to the eyes, while still giving you those dreamy, high-volume lashes.
- Lancôme Hypnôse Waterproof Mascara: Smudge-free with no flaking all day long, this mascara will coat and curl every lash perfectly. Filled with provitamin B5, you’ll enjoy a high-volume finish without a brittle feel.
- INIKA Long Lash Vegan Mascara: Infuse your lashes with deep conditioning elements such as vitamin E and magnolia bark extract. This vegan, organic, and cruelty-free mascara will give you a vibrant look without causing any irritation to even the most delicate peepers.
- MAC Extended Play Lash Mascara: Ophthalmologist tested, this intense carbon black mascara is ideal for super-delicate eyes. It’s also smudge-resistant, flake-proof, volumizing, defining, and lengthening to boot. In addition, the tiny brush bristles coat even your thinnest, shortest eyelashes evenly.
- Ilia Limitless Lash Mascara: Made from totally natural ingredients, like shea butter, beeswax carnauba wax, and keratin, this mascara lengthens, curls, conditions, and lifts your lashes.
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Volume Mascara: Specially formulated sensitive eyes and people who wear contact lenses, this richly pigmented mascara coats each and every lash. You can have full volume without irritating your eyes or weighing down your eyelashes.
- Honest Beauty Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer: Before applying this budget-friendly mascara, you apply a primer to lengthen lashes in advance. Then you can enhance your look even further with deep color.
- Chantecaille Faux Cils Longest Lash Mascara: While this product can get pricey, it gives you thick dramatic eyelashes and contains specialized peptides to stimulate further lash growth.
- Crunchi Lashes For Days Mascara: With all natural ingredients, such as green tea fibers, a swipe of this wand will upgrade your lashes, shaping and lengthening them with no itchy side effects.
- Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long-Wearing Formula: Many long-time wearers of Clinique makeup swear by the irritation-free effects of this mascara. Even though it’s waterproof, ophthalmologists have determined that it’s safe for contact lens wearers and people with sensitive eyes. Plus, it will stay in place all day without running or smudging into raccoon eyes.
- Neutrogena Healthy Lengths Mascara: Clump-free, lash-lengthening, and gentle on sensitive eyes, what more could you ask for in a mascara?
Even with the best mascara - don’t neglect eye hygiene!
In addition to choosing the right hypoallergenic, ophthalmologist-tested mascara, good eye hygiene is critical for avoiding uncomfortable symptoms. Make sure that when you remove your eye makeup, you don’t leave old mascara to build up along your lash line. Also, remember to switch to a fresh tube of mascara every three months, because bacteria can breed in the bottle – leading to eye infections. A helpful tip from our Cedar Park eye care team is to record the date you opened the mascara directly on the tube with a permanent marker.
At Lakeline Vision Source, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 512-918-3937 or book an appointment online to see one of our Cedar Park eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!